Sunday, August 4, 2013

Back to Basics

Whin is convinced that she was born to be a hula dancer.  Particularly after doing turn on the haunches or forehand.  When I ask her to halt and give her no direction as to which way to bend or turn, she takes matters into her own hands. The dance usually goes something like haunches left, rein back haunches right step forward, ect.

given  that we practiced turn on the haunches last lesson, I decided we needed to work on the halt Saturday. Sure enough, we should have had the luau music playing in the back ground.   Whin was very good with every thing other than the halt.  I did make some head way though. I realized that if I ask her to take two little strides at the trot just before asking for the halt, she gets it.

So in retrospect, maybe I learn that its just all me, not setting her up for the halt properly. I guess it really doesn't matter weather it is the horse or riders fault. The horse is not going to be the one to fix it.  On other notes Whin is really starting to get the transitions with in gaits. when I do baby steps to bigger steps she bends her hocks a bit more. I really do adore this mare despite her hula dancing ways!

No comments:

Post a Comment